Thursday, May 18th 2017
4pm - 6pm
OPENING CEREMONY AT THE ISTITUTO DEGLI INNOCENTI AND GUIDED TOUR OF EITHER THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF FLORENCE OR THE ACCADEMIA GALLERY
The Opening Ceremony will be held in the fifteen century Salone Brunelleschi
, whose many beautiful features include a distinctive wooden ceiling.
Prior to the Ceremony and cocktail reception, participants will enjoy a guided visit of either the extraordinary Archaeological Museum of Florence, located next to the Istituto, or the Accademia Gallery, home of Michelangelo's world famous David.
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
The Archaeological Museum, inaugurated in 1870, hosts one of the richest collections of archaeological finds in Italy. The collection was founded on the family collections of the Medici and the Lorena.
Today the museum includes:
The Etruscan, Greek and Roman collections and the Egyptian section, known as the Egyptian Museum
, which is the second largest collection of Egyptian artifacts in Italy.
THE ACCADEMIA GALLERY
The Accademia Gallery is without doubt most famous for its sculptures by the great Renaissance artist, Michelangelo
. His Prisoners (or Slaves), his St. Matthew and, above all, the magnificent statue of David
attract hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.
The Gallery's main hall also hosts works by excellent Italian artists such as Sandro Botticelli
, Domenico Ghirlandaio
, Andrea del Sart
o, and Orcagna
, just to name a few.
Please kindly select one of the two tours on the registration form, as tour capacity is 100 persons each and registration will be on a first come, first served basis. There will be 1 guide for each group of 25 persons, for a maximum of 4 groups per museum.
All facilities are handicap accessible.
Saturday, May 20th 2017
8pm - 11pm
Price per person: € 130
The Symposium Gala Dinner will take place at Palazzo Ximènes Panciatichi
, a historic location situated at a stone's throw from the centre of Florence. Guests can be accommodated in the grand dining room on the main floor, graced by magnificent architectural features as well as sumptuous decorations and furnishings.
The palace dates back to 1498 when it was the property of Giuliano da Sangallo, who had constructed it several years earlier for himself and his family.
In 1603 the palace was sold to Sebastiano Ximènes d'Aragona who hired Gherardo Silvani and his workshop to enlarge and embellish the building. By 1816, for lack of male heirs, it was inherited by the Panciatichi family.
The building suffered heavy damage during the 1966 flood of the Arno river, which caused the destruction of all the beautiful Venetian furniture of the ground floor. In the early years of this century, the whole first floor along with the "honor staircase" were thoroughly restored. The central ballroom and all the adjacent rooms were returned to their original splendor with the stucco work, decorations and colors of the 18th century.
Please note that participants will be required to go up 2 flights of stairs and that accessibility to the elevator is limited.